Monday, April 11, 2011

My Call To Carmel

   My story begins when I was 12 years old. That's when I had my conversion. I had found that God was my true father. Here is a little background about my conversion. 

Like I said I had my conversion when I was 12 years old. When I was 12 I was always looking for something to make me happy.  And  I later found out the it was God. One day I was in my brother's room and he was talking about God and how loving he was. And how if you except God into your heart you would be saved. So I asked God into my heart later that night. At that time I became Christian if you want to put a name on it. But to tell you the truth "Christian's" are not what I was searching for, it was not fulfilling to me. I would always watch the Catholic channel  (EWTN) and the Christian channel (TBN). But I always found myself going back to EWTN . One day I just decided that I wanted to become Catholic. And I am telling you a week after that God gave me the call to religious life.     I'll tell you a little about how God called me before I was even Catholic. One day I was walking by the tv, my mind was still set on what I was going to do with my life (still only 12). Mother Angelica was on the tv praying with her nuns and I walked back and just looked at the tv and I realized that God wanted me to be a nun. At first I wanted to be a Poor Clare like Mother Angelica , but that only lasted for 1 year, till I watched the St. Teresa of the Andes movie. That is why I love her (St. Teresa of the Andes) so much because she showed me that I was not called to be a Poor Clare but to be a Carmelite, to walk hand and hand with our Lord in that desert we call Carmel.                   

       Now I want to tell how I got accepted into Carmel.
When I was 16 I was allowed to start writing to nuns. As you all know I wanted to join the Brooklyn Carmelite's. They asked to wait 5 years before I could join their convent. I was going to wait ,but that didn't mean that I couldn't contact other Carmel's in the mean time. To be honest with you I was going  crazy because none of the Carmelite's that I wrote to wanted to hear me out. They thought that I was to young or didn't think that I had enough experience in the church. But remember that I have been experiencing the faith since I was 12 years old. When I became Catholic I felt like a cradle Catholic. That was one thing about Cristo Rey, they listened to everything  that I had to say. They wanted to help guide me. When I first contacted  Cristo Rey I was thinking that they would tell me I had to wait 3 to 5 years. But when I got a phone call from Sr. Mary of the Sacred Heart it gave me a real chance to talk about things I really couldn't talk about to other communities. Sr. Mary told me the first time that I didn't have to wait 3 to 5 years because they want to give every woman a chance. Waiting 3 to 5 years can make a woman lose her vocation. When she told me that over the phone I just wanted to scream because I was so happy. About a week later I called Sr. Mary and she told me that all I needed was the required information. She even said that I could join this year if things worked out according to plans. So now I have enrolled in a GED class and
about 1 week ago Sr. Mary called me to tell me that they had a Chapter Meeting. Prior to that I talked to the SubPrioress M. Elizabeth and we had a wonderful talk. So about a week after that talk I had with M. Elizabeth I was informed that I was excepted into the community.

17 comments:

RestlessHeart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annieone1 said...

Brandee,

I sent you a separate response, but want to tell you how excited I am for you in finding your way to be accepted into the Carmelite life!!!
Although I love and appreciate other orders, Carmel has always been the one for me too. Stay close to yourself and keep your soul always true to and full of Our Lord. You can't go wrong and He and all the saints will help you through the difficult times. I know this from personal experience in Carmel.

God love and bless you 24/7!!!!

Ann

Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations! I hope you live an amazing life in the Carmel and with all your new sisters. Do you know when you enter the monastery??? Please keep me in your prayers, and good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

You're so naive. Way to simplify things when you SHOULDN'T. Yeah, everyone will tell you what you wanna hear but I won't. I've seen your posts on phatmass. They really make me question if you know anything much at all....that saying about alluring her into the desert? That's from Hosea, the Old Testament....so not a saying from Jesus at all. And if you need to ask people about who a nun's husband is supposed to be....well, it really makes me think twice if you've had a truly authentic encounter with Him at all...cuz if you did, you wouldn't need to ask people that -_- Seriously, it's so funny that you don't even have the mental capacity to question why people don't caution you against being too young and oblivious to make such a grave decision. You people don't think thoroughly at all.

TheCarmeliteblogger said...

My Carmelite Sisters have yet to set a date for me but I am sure I will know soon. But why would you leave a nice comment then but leave a mean one?

cmariadiaz said...

Brandee I'm sooooo happy for you .... the person who left the mean comment was not charitable at all, and if they were brave they'd at least not do it anonymously. You're brave enough to let others know what you're doing. That's awesome and such a testimony to the Lord.

-- cmariadiaz from PhatMass

navo said...

Why is someone bitter about how God calls? We do not have the right to question God's ways, we do not have the right to question God's movements in one's soul. We do not know the mind of God.

It's funny to read, "way to simplify things" when God calls the weak to shame the strong.. when the kingdom of God is for children.

and to question one's relationship with Jesus reminds me of the story of the Pharisee and and tax collector.

I wonder anonymous at Apr 25 4:51pm, who is your driving force in leaving that comment. I doubt it is inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Anonymous said...

The second anonymous comment is definitely from teresitacarmel on Phatmass. She is so hateful. Why in the world does she feel the need to criticize over and over?

Rosie T said...

While I disagree with the attitude the person took, I do somewhat agree with the sentiment. When one is so young, it's always wise to educate oneself more about the faith before making such a monumental decision :) So there's sorta a valid point buried underneath that harsh comment I guess...

navo said...

well vocation is not a profession. it's a gift of the good Lord and He will grant all the graces to those who say YES. you do not have worry. Jesus takes cares of everything.

lourdesgirl101 said...

Great news, Brandee. I am discerning with the Sisters of Sts Cyril and Methodius in Danville, PA, as well as the Sisters of the Lamb of God in Owensboro, Kentucky.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I am the first Anonymous (April 17, 2011), not the second one (April 25, 2011). I am not sure who left that message to you. I believe what happened is that another person chose to be Anonymous as well and left that negative comment to you. I really am happy for you, and I am sorry for any confusion. Good luck at Cristo Rey! :)

nath99 said...

There some new unreleased information about the Secrets of Mary's Prophecies in a A Series of Open Messages to Pope Benedict at

http://www.merkaba.org/audio/benedict.html/

Rachael said...

You are so inspirational!

When I first found your YouTube videos I was heavily involved with the occult. My life was miserable and I felt like giving up.

I have recently decided to turn my life over to Christ and covert to Catholicism. I honestly believe that your videos played a big part in my conversion. I just wanted to let you know that you have saved my life and soul. I am praying for you. I hope you have MANY blessings in your life..

With love,
Rachael

Anonymous said...

All Gods god is coming towards you.
Many prayers for you. Don't second gues yourself. Folow that One True Voice Who is inviting you to to dwell in His Dovecote.
EWIE
(phatmasser)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I am discerning with the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. They are in Beaverton, OR. I would appreciate your prayers and I will continue to pray for you as well!

Pax et Bonum!

Anonymous said...

i have no doubt that u have been blessed by our lord to follow him...and anyways isn't it given in the holy bible that 'it is not we who choose him but he who calls us' so don't let anyone get to you... remember us all in your prayer :-)